Saturday, August 21, 2010

Do Birds Need Devil's Walkingstick?



Every year about this time I start seeing birds feeding on the American native shrub called 'Aralia Spinosa', 'Devils Walkingstick', or 'Hercules Club' among others. And yet at the same time I keep hearing about it being invasive. So recently I posted an entry about it on my blog Arts, Birds, Nature.

After I'd done so I thought it would be nice to keep track of how many birds are seen feeding on it this fall. But that really wasn't going to work on my blog, which is not so specific. However it took less than 15 minutes to create a new blog on blogger.

So here's my idea. If you stumble upon this blog and you see birds feeding on Devil's Walkingstick berries this fall please add a comment to the blog stating the birds you saw and your location.

It could very well be that this will be the only post on this blog, or perhaps that I'll be the only poster. But then again you never know. I've run into many people who agree with me when I talk about how many birds feed on it. Perhaps they'll find their way here.

These are the birds I've seen so far this late summer/early fall:
American Robin
Veery
Wood Thrush
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker

2 comments:

  1. I think this is the new to me tree I spotted last week. Unfortunately, I'll have to put on my snake boots and spray a gallon of OFF on myself to get a closer look......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam,

    I'm not sure if it grows down your way. I'll try to investigate. You should be able to see it from about 100 yards away though. If it's in fruit birds will be flocking to it and you may be able to ID them from where you are, without the snake boots and DDT. That DOES sound like a hard way to bird!! When it is is fruit the floral sprays, which have since become berres will be more of a washed out purple than the white. The actual berries themselves are dark purple.

    ReplyDelete