Sunday, October 3, 2010

October Warblers



It seems like forever since I've posted anything here and it probably has been. Vacation, strong storms, art work have all kept me out of the field. Or when I was out it was in areas without Devil's Walkingstick.

But today we did a brief hike through one corner of the Ravine Loop Trail at Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education. For the first 15-20 minutes we saw nothing. But as we got near the Walkingstick, first one, then two, then three Black-throated Blue warblers appeared in it. A Gray Catbird joined them, followed by at least one Tennessee Warbler. We also saw a Blue-Headed Vireo and Northern Parula warlber in adjacent trees. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that they were also feeding on it.

Coincidentally this is the best look we've ever had at a Tennessee Warbler in Philadelphia.

As we walked into SCEE not only did we see no birds but 95% of the berries on the Devil's Walkingstick were gone. Things did not bode well. But it's been my experience that you can find birds on the Walkingstick through October in Philadelphia. I hope I'll have time this year to confirm this.

No comments:

Post a Comment